Saturday, December 15, 2007

Using an Antenna to receive High Definition over-the-air - Southern Maine (Portland)

Once you purchase your High Definition TV and purchase an appropriate UHF/VHF antenna (I bought a TERK antenna for $65 at Best Buy) you know have to figure out how to get the channels available in your area. You have a few resources at your disposal. I highly recommend Antenna-Web (http://www.checkhd.com/aw/Welcome.aspx) to assist you in determining what stations are in your area. Also, Wikipedia (http://www.widipedia.org/) was an invaluable resource for me.

Let me give you an example of how this works. Channel 13 (WGME) is one of my local TV stations. I knew that already, but confirmed it using the Antenna-Web web site and put in my zip code. Then I went to Wikipedia and typed in that television station (WGME). Along with a lot of information about the history and basic information about the television station, I found that WGME channel 13 not only broadcasts on channel 13 for analog (old school) broadcasts, they broadcasts a separate digital/high definition signal on UHF Channel 38. So on my high definition TV’s setup screen for digital channels, I had to program in channel 38 NOT channel 13 for the digital/high definition channel.

Here’s the full list of what I can receive in Springvale, Maine and the corresponding UHF (Digital/HD) equivalent. Keep in mind that each Digital Channel has the ability to broadcast up to 4 separate signals on one channel.

Channel 6 (6-1) - WCSH = UHF 44
Channel 6 (6-2) - WCSH = UHF 44 -This is a second broadcast signal which will deliver NBC 24 Hour Weather Plus in Standard Definition (SD)
Channel 8 - MWTW = UHF 46
Channel 13 (13-1) - WGME = UHF 38 (This is their HD channel feed)
Channel 13 (13-2) - WGME = UHF 38 (This an enhanced definition (ED) feed, not an HD feed)

Channel 26 (26-1) Maine Public Television Local Feed = UHF 45 (This is a standard definition (SD) feed)

Channel 26 (26-2) This is actually the PBS National HD Feed, as opposed to the local feed and usually has different programming than MPBN Local

Channel 35 - WPME - My Network = UHF 28 - HD Feed - there is not a lot of HD programming from this network
Channel 51 - WPXT - The CW Network = UHF 43 - HD feed - there is not a lot of HD programming from this network but more than My Network.

As for FOX, the only was you can get Fox 23 in HD is to subscribe to Time Warner cable, then pay for their HD package upgrade, in which case you will receive the HD signal. This Fox affiliate does not plan to go digital until it is forced to in February of 2009. I can receive the regular over-the-air signal (which is a bit fuzzy) on TV Channel 23.

Again, it took me a while to figure this out since nobody could explain to me how the whole thing worked but I am glad to share this with you. I would be happy to go into further detail with anyone out there struggling with over-the-air HDTV.

No comments: