Saturday, January 29, 2011

My Final Posting

** Update 12/1/2011 - Obviously, I'm back.  I decided not to shut down this blog as there may be things I feel that need to write about from time to time.

**


Here is the state of affairs, as I see it, for High Definition TV.

The big 7 broadcast networks are broadcasting most of their programming in High Definition. that's a good thing. Even most of the daily soap operas (for as long as they may last) are in High Definition. I can't believe that it finally happened.

In the big cities, local news is in High Definition. In smaller cities, it could be years before that happens but they are all working in that direction.

It is still free to receive High Definition broadcasts, over the air, from your local affiliates. THAT'S A VERY GOOD THING. And keep in mind that your local broadcasters can offer two, or in some cases three or four, channels from one broadcast tower. So give them a shot. Get a good quality Antenna (you all know I recommend the Terk) and check out what's happening on your local affiliates' sub-channels.

As for cable and satellite - I'm still very disappointed. Most "high def" channels do not actually broadcast 100% in high definition. Some of the programming is in the HD aspect ratio of 16:9, but not in HD quality. A whole lot of it is still just stretched out (from 4:3) to fit your screen and is as bad in quality as it was before. But they all like to call it HD. Keep them honest.

A few HD cable/satellite channels do a better job of providing real, quality HD programs. One of them is CNN. Also the Discovery networks do a fairly good job. As does PBS. But so many of them just call themselves HD because their picture fills up your HDTV's screen. It really is a shame how much they try to fool the TV-watching public.


If you are really watching a 720p or 1080i High Definition broadcast, you will know it, because you will marvel at it. Any time you wonder if the program you are watching is in HD, it isn't. Because if it was, you wouldn't be wondering.

I am moving on to other things. Over the last few years I've become very involved in the world of Blackberry. I am writing for other web sites and moderating user forums. It's become my new hobby and since there are no big changes going on in High Definition, It's time to put this blog to rest. I'll stop back and write a bit if anything newsworthy happens.

The one big thing left to take hold is TV over the Internet. Not to your PC, but to your TV. It will take a while before it all gets straightened out. There will be winners and losers; some people will spend money on new devices that they will love, and some will be disappointed. To me, it's all about the picture quality. That's why I got started down this path to begin with.

Don't accept less than perfect when it comes to high definition. If you are not getting what you pay for, then fight for it.

For my regular readers, we've been down a long road. I hope I was able to help, and teach, and offer information that was important or helpful. When I looked back at all of the articles I wrote, I forgot that it's been more than 4 years since I started. I moved this blog from another blogging location, so the first posting data on this site was December 2007. But I started this blog originally in 2006.

I want to the Doug Finck, from WPXT/WPME. He has been a fervent supporter of mine, and this blog, and has provided me with so much useful information that I can never truly thank him properly. He knew that my goal was to get information to to public, so that they could make informed decisions, and know the truth about high definition broadcasting. I wish him the best.

Until we meet again.........

1 comment:

Scott said...

Thanks for your work, I've enjoyed your posts over the years.
A couple of updates from the Bangor area:
WABI has moved to channel 13, which became possible when WGME vacated that position in Portland. At 14 miles away I don't get quite as strong a signal, but it's still fine. I haven't read if the situation has improved or worsened for viewers in fringe areas. They'll save tens of thousands of dollars of their electric bill by moving from UHF to VHF. WABI was the first to go HD for their news broadcasts, and even the field reports look great.
WVII switched to a dual 720p format, so OTA viewers can now see FOX22 in HD. Especially good for the sports programming on Fox. WVII's local feed is easily the worst in the area, with a picture full of scratchy lines. Makes their news report hard to watch, Cindy Micheals notwithstanding.
WMEB, the MPBN affiliate is now broadcasting PBS World on the 12-3 subchannel. The video quality is awful, like a four year old youtube clip. Bit it's an alternative to the main MPBN/PBS programming, and maybe they'll improve the quality in the future. They have announced plans to install a repeater on Blackcap Mt in Eddington. That's where they broadcast from since the beginning, before moving to Peaked Mt in Dixmont alongside WABI when their analog broadcasts ended. The move 25 miles to the southwest hurt reception for people to the north and east. I think the new repeater will be on channel 25, formerly used by WLBZ, if I'm interpreting this info correctly: http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/sta_det.pl?Facility_id=39648
WLBZ has moved back to channel 2, making it a rare VHF low station. I receive them fine at eight miles, and with all the huge rooftop VHF antennas in the area, it was probably a good move.
Thanks again for you informative posts through they years.