Sunday, December 30, 2007

The best show you weren't watching: Jericho on CBS

I can't believe that I was not part of the groundswell of activity to bring this show back from the abyss because that is so my sort of thing.

I never missed an episode of Jericho and never even though for one minute that it was in trouble because it was too good. I'm not usually wrong about shows that are good and should be on the air. I'm usually wrong about the one I can't stand that stay on forever, like "Everybody Loves Raymond". Funny? Sometimes but mostly just annoying. Debra is a bitch, Ray is an idiot, they have absolutely no chemistry and no you can't "tell" their characters really love each other underneath it all. But I digress.

Jericho tells a science fiction account of a nuclear attach on the United States. they don't know who did it or for the most part, don't know how broad-reaching it is. They know some of the people in surrounding areas that are still alive but that's about it. The whole premise is a microcosmic look at society and deals with loss, leadership, tragedy, family ties, loyalty, and all of the things that you have to deal with in your lifetime, but under extreme duress. The acting is right on, the cast is fantastic, and while we know it is fiction, it is believable.

When the show returns on February 12, 2008, WATCH IT. This is a show that you should be watching with your older kids. It might be a bit scary for the younger ones. But what a great way to start discussions about what things in life are really important, what you should be afraid of, and how to rely on the people you love to get you through difficult times. The show does not concentrate on terrorism or death (although some people do die from time to time). It's sort of a cross between "24" and "Little House".

So give it a chance. I think if you watch it, you'll understand what I'm talking about and why I like it. Visit the CBS web site if you need more background or don't understand the plot. But trust me, it's not like "Lost" on ABC. You'll follow what's going on.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Right on. The bottom line is that the show is about hope.

If that's not a show that should be a keeper I don't for the life of me know what is.