Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I discoverd that the ION TV Nework is first rate

I recently discovered a relatively small television network called ION (formerly PAX and formerly some others I think). I don't have cable or satellite because I simply can't afford it. So my goal was to get as many over-the-air (called "off air") television stations as possible, for free.

It started with my local ABC, NBC, ABC and PBS networks as you would expect. But that wasn't enough so I found MyNetwork (formerly UPN) and the CW (formerly the WB). Now I was getting somewhere.

When I had cable, one of the best channels I had was New Hampshire Public Television (NHPTV). They really leverage the digital/high definition capabilities available to all television stations who want to use it. NHPTV broadcasts their own local programming as well as the PBS High Definition Channel (as you probably know by now, all TV stations have the ability to carry more than one channel now; up to 4 if they only use standard definition).

In doing some research on Wikipedia, where you can find probably the best information on television stations, where they are, and how to receive them on your antenna, I discovered a network called the ION Network.

In playing around with the position of my antenna, I found that I could reach the ION network out of Concord, NH. They broadcast 4 separate digital channels, all in standard definition, but broadcast a wide variety of programming including cartoons, old sitcoms, religious programs, cooking shows, outdoor shows, etc.

This was going well until one day, now matter what I did, I could not receive their digital channels. When I tried to reach their old analog signal which is still operating, I could, but not their digital signal. So I knew it wasn't my reception, so to speak, and nothing wrong with the station, but something was up.

I tried to contact them. But it wasn't like calling up your local TV station and complaining. ION is run out of a national office. They have broadcast substations in several area; the one I receive, as I said, happens to be in Concord, NH. But that is just an antenna, it's not a televison station with staff. So my only option was to contact the national customer service line and leave a message. I did not think anything at all would come of it.

The very next day I received a call from the ION network. A very nice and friendly woman named Leslie spoke to me. She took all of my information down including my address, the specific issues I was having and said she would refer my complaint to the technical folks. Again, I didn't think anything would come of this.

Within an hour or so Leslie called me back. Due to my complaint, they discovered there was indeed a technical issue with their digital broadcast signal in my area, they rebooted (or whatever they do) and it was fixed. She asked me to check it. I was at work and could not do it at the time but said I would when I got home.

You know how this turns out. I got home and all of the ION digital channels were up an running fine. Because so few people use antennas anymore to receive TV signals, and because ION is a smaller network who only has their primary channel (not the subchannels) under contract with a few cable providers, I don't think many would have noticed the problem unless you were a person like me who knows a bit about digital and HDTV and would take the time to contact them since I discovered a problem.

The bottom line is that they were please dthat the issue was pointed out to them and I was pleased, not only that the problem was fixed, but that the ION network handled the situation with such professionalism and regular old human kindness.

I often call my local network affiliates with digital or High Definition issues only to be hung up on without a thank you, or treated with disbelief that I (a regular consumer with no background in television or broadcasting of any kind) know what I am talking about. It was so refreshing to be treated with respect.

Thank you to the ION network and Leslie. She handled the customer service aspect with ease, the way it should be whenever you call a big company. She even ensured that I had the correct number to call her back if the problem was not fixed or I ran into any problems in the future.

No comments: