Friday, April 25, 2008

Problems with Digital Converter Box - not ready to buy a Digital TV

I received a great email from a viewer in Farmington Maine:

I live in Farmington, ME and receive OTA analog signals for CH 8,10,13 and
23. CH 10 and 23 have the best reception, CH 13 is tolerable and CH 8 not
really viewable.

I'm not ready to buy a digital tv, but I have purchased a converter
box.

Today I hooked up the Set Top Converter Box and received CH 6 and 13,
including the sub-channels. I was surprised to receive the NBC channels,
since I have never received the analog version. When not using the
converter box, the reception is viewable for the PBS channel; however, all the
other previously received analog stations are gone.

Why can't I received the digital signal for MPBN CH10, which I
understand to be broadcast in digital?

I was going to contact them, but came across your informative and
intresting articles; and thought I would pose the question to you.

I responsed as follows:

I'm trying to figure some things out. Are you saying that when you are
bypassing the converter box and trying to view analog TV, the reception is worse
now than it was before you installed the converter box? Why do you want to
bypass the converter box? Are you saying that with the converter box you
ONLY receive 6, 13, and PBS? It makes sense that Analog 23, and 10 are the
best in analog because you are closest to those towers.

Fox 23 is out of Waterville and Maine PBS has several towers across the
state. It seems that the channels out of Portland are more difficult for you
which of course makes sense. Channel 10 (PBS) in Digital is 26.1 for
my area but for you it could be different.

Use the chart here on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Public_Broadcasting_Network.
Wikipedia might be the one resource you should use the most to figure some
things out. It's the resource I use the most. By searching on any
stations call letters it will tell you the exact UHF (digital) channel to
receive the broadcast. For example WMTW is 46.1. But for you, MPBN does
have a signal out of Augusta on UHF channel 17, where as in Biddeford, I use
26.

Unfortunately contacting "them" won't help. There isn't really anywhere
to call to get all the information you need and any one particular station has
no incentive to help you. That's why I started my blog with information
about digital TV in Maine.

Does the digital converter box have a function to "search" for all channel,
like when you let your TV do it. If so, you could try the antenna in a few
different positions to see if it picks up more or fewer depending on
location.

I hope some of the info I provided can start to help. I'll be happy to
work with you to iron out some of your issues. Keep in mind that even on
the best of days, antenna position is like real estate...location, location,
location. I have a problem with Channel 8. It's fine for days on end
and then all of a sudden it doesn't want to come in. That is due to
weather, general interference, sun spots, you name it. Another thing to
remember is that digital signals are all or nothing, you won't receive a fuzzy
digital picture...you will either get a great picture or none at all and the
slightest change in antenna position will affect that.

What type of antenna do you use. I've tried them all and returned most
of them. I just bought a second HDTV for the bedroom and tried to get away
with a cheaper antenna. But after many tries went back to my old standard,
the TERK for about $73.00 at Best Buy. It's probably the most expensive
one but it is very powerful and I get more stations as far away as 50 miles in
all directions as opposed to any other antenna I ever tried.

Let me know how you are doing and hopefully we can make some progress.

No comments: