Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Ellen's Talk Show in High Definition?

I recently saw a post on a web site called "PopCritics.Com" in which someone named Mike declared that Ellen would be in HD starting with her new 2008 season to begin 2/8/08. My response, base on all of the information I have (and my regular visitors will recognize this issue) is was as follows:

I'm not sure I'm convinced. Since Ellen is syndicated, it goes out on a
feed from the production company and/or distributor. If a TV station who airs Ellen, simply accepts that signal and turns around to broadcast it out on its
local channel to the views, it may work. But 99% of television stations don't
have the ability to record, and then playback later, a High Definition program.
That's why you don't see reruns for most TV shows (that appear on other networks
or in a different time slot than the original) broadcast in high definition. I
don't believe that the distributor is going to send a feed out to the satellite
system for every TV station that airs Ellen at a specific hour. Here in New
England, you can watch Ellen on WCVB Channel 5 (ABC) at 9:00 am and then on
Channel 8 (WMTW - ABC) at 4:00 pm. That just accounts for my particular cable
provider. Some people see Ellen at 10:00 am, 3:00 pm, 5:00 pm or in late night.
So as nice as it is that Ellen will produce her TV show in HD, very few will
actually see it in HD. I started a web site almost 2 years ago now that track
all these issues and I have gained several contacts within the industry. Believe
me, I wish for more HDTV, and it has been my quest to get more HDTV on the air.
The most difficult TV shows to go HD will be anything syndicated because TV
stations can't record and play it back in HD. The equipment to do so is
unbelievably expensive and most TV stations imply can't afford it.


No comments: