Monday, January 14, 2008

HDTV or DTV Reception problems - WMTW Channel 8 - Portland, ME

I got some excellent advice from Bill Greep from WMTW Channel 8 in Portland, ME. I had always had great reception for Channel 8.1 (DTV/HDTV). In the last several days, the video and audio had become choppy and inconsistent, making it impossible to watch that channel.

I wrote to the station and asked if there were any changes in the signal output. Bill assured me there was not but had the following input:

"Unfortunately, this time of year (with vast temperature swings and antenna icing) can breed interference from a host of environmental sources, including icing, unstable air currents, or interference due to snow. One thing you may try is to power cycle your DTV off-air receiver and/or do another channel scan of off-air DTV channels. This allows the receiver to optimize digital channel filter settings for the best possible DTV signal. "

Well, I thanked Bill for the possible explanation and took his advice on the recycle of the channel scan. It actually worked and my reception is much better now.

Thanks Bill for the great advice.

No comments: