Monday, June 2, 2008

CNN misses the mark on the Shuttle Launch in HD

After touting the splendor of watching a shuttle launch in high definition, during the actual launch on Saturday, May 31, CNN did the unthinkable.

They didn't bother to actually just go full screen HD. Instead the filled the screen up with commentators, graphics, and the ever-present DELEGATE COUNTS.

So those of us with HD, who would have been thrilled to actually watch a launch in full HD, didn't get the chance.

So why did they bother talking about how wonderful and awesome it was going to be in HD if they never leveraged the technology right in front of them to let the viewer actually experience it.

If I were TV Guide, this would definitely show up in the JEERS column.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I full agree. They even cut the view down to quarter size and didn't show any of the data of the flight or any of the communications. It was very disappointing considering the number of launches left. I had set the DVR to record it but all I have is the latest delegate count.

Unknown said...

If your provider offers HDNet, I highly recommended it for NASA events. I missed this shuttle launch but the last couple I have seen, including the night launch from a couple of months ago, were spectacular!

RSCME said...

about two years ago I had the HD ultra package that included HDNET and I totally agree, great channel. Right now, I just refuse to pay even more for HD when the HD that should be there, isn't. I just can't understand why broadcasters, cable or regular over the air channels, just can't get HD done right.