Saturday, September 20, 2008

Metrocast Cable in Southern Maine offers very few HD choices

Dear Readers:
The following is an open letter I wrote to Metrocast Customer Support in the hopes of getting some answers on when Metrocast will actually up its game in this High Definition world.

-----------------------------
High Definition programming has taken off like a shot recently.  I believe it is due to this being the first full season of television that will overlap the February 17, 2009 cutoff date for analog TV.  Consumers are getting ready and those producing programs and distributing programs are getting ready as well.  For those of us who already have HDTV capabilities, we've been waiting for the explosion of HD programming on the edge of our seats.
 
I do not need cable TV or satellite or anybody else to receive high definition programming.  I have an HDTV with a built in HDTV tuner.  I can receive ABC, CBS, PBS, NBC, the CW, MyNetwork, and the ION network all over the air with without paying anybody.
 
I began subscribing to Metrocast mostly for the DVR, it is just easier to use than a VCR and it can record HD programming.
 
In the current year, 2008, Metrocast has added a total of 8 new HD channels.  Not one of those channels is more than a reality based TV network.  The Weather Channel, Outdoor Channel, HGTV, Discover, Science, Animals, Food, do you get the picture?
 
I am getting very frustrated with my channel lineup.  None of the above channels offer anything in the line of comedy or drama. It's just one reality show or information TV show after another.  

What happened to some of these channels:
  • A&E HD 
  • ABC Family HD 
  • Biography Channel HD 
  • Bravo HD 
  • Cartoon Network 
  • CNBC HD
  • Disney Channel HD 
  • Fuel TV HD 
  • FX HD 
  • History Channel HD 
  • MTV HD 
  • Nick HD 
  • Speed Channel HD 
  • Spike HD 
  • USA Network HD 
  • VH1 HD 

Not to mention that Sanford has no Fox channel available in HD.  I understand the limitations behind that but are we going to have Fox HD ON FEBRUARY 17, 2009 WHEN FOX 23 does a flash-cutover to digital?  And also not to mention the National Geographic channel.  Why is that we can get it in standard def as part of of basic cable but have to pay extra to get it in HD.  It is the only channel in our basic cable lineup that has an HD channel that we have to pay for.  All of the other networks in your so-called "Ultra HD" package are channels specifically designed as High Definition networks.  I guess I understand that since they were so far ahead of the curve it makes sense to pay extra for channel of that caliber who were HD 24/7 long before anybody else.  But as for the channels listed above, these are networks that have been around forever, we've always had them in analog, now what's the problem with providing them in digital, what exactly is the problem and what can the public to, if anything about it.
 
What specifically are you plans for high definition expansion in the future.  I you could add even half of the channels I have listed above as part of the standard High Def package, I would consider staying (or at least stop bad-mouthing Metrocast).  Heck I would be happy if even just four of the ones from my list (A&E, Bravo, FX, and USA) were added to the lineup.  I feel that Metrocast in Maine is way behind the curve.  Your HD capabilities when I look at other cable providers and satellite providers is at best, sub-standard, and at worst, a joke.
 
I apologize for being long winded but I had a lot to get out.  Again what exactly and specifically are your plans for future HD channels being added to the Metrocast line-up.  Second, what is the fate of Fox 23 in HD.  When do we get it, when should we get it.  And finally, why don't you provide Maine's PBS, Maine's CW, and Maine's MyNetwork to the lineup for people you service in Maine.  If we can't get Fox 25 in HD because that is a Boston Fox channel and Maine isnt' "allowed" to have it.  Then why aren't we "allowed" to have ALL of the networks who broadcast from Maine in HD.  Even WPXT and WPME, who are in my opinion, the little engine that could, are ahead of the curve in cutting off their analog signal earlier this month.
 
I appreciate you time and would appreciate even more some answers to these questions and issues.  I believe the public deserve to now what is going on.   Thank you for your time.
 

1 comment:

Ami said...

Hi,

I greatly enjoyed looking through your blog at "http://mainehdtv.blogspot.com/2008/09/metrocast-cable-in-southern-maine.html" and found an informative one for my theme related topics.I have also some entertainment,music,dish TV,satellite TV,music related sites and blogs. So,I think it would be beneficial for both of us if we will join in a community and become link partners to each other which will help your blog/site in getting more Google values.If you are interested then please contact me at-
ami.roberts86@gmail.com

Thanks
Ami